Academic excellence is promoted within the student body. A concerted effort is made to encourage students to succeed in their scholastic work and to experience affirmation in their college careers. There are several honors given to outstanding students.
Students enrolled in at least 12 semester hours who achieve a GPA of at least 3.50 are included on this list published following each fall and spring semester.
Additionally, during the semester in which the honor is awarded, students must:
- Have no incomplete grades
- Have no unsatisfactory or "F" grades, including courses that bear no academic credit, such as Christian Service and Spiritual Formation/Chapel.
- Be in good standing with the Community and Academic Integrity guidelines
Ohio Christian University Honor Graduate
The Honor Graduate is selected by the faculty and must represent all the ideals of Ohio Christian University. This graduate must have distinguished himself or herself in academic achievement, Christian Service, and leadership potential. This selection is made by the faculty prior to computing graduation honors.
Delta Epsilon Chi Honor Society
The faculty may nominate up to 7% of the graduating class to the Delta Epsilon Chi Honor Society of the Association for Biblical Higher Education. To qualify for eligibility for nomination to this honor society, students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.30 or above, 90 or more semester hours in residence, exhibit Christian character qualities, possess leadership ability, and be nominated by the faculty.
The following honors are designed for bachelors graduates. Summer bachelor graduates are eligible for these honors, but cannot be recognized at the spring commencement because their grades for summer classes are not yet completed. Completers of associate and graduate programs are not eligible.
Students who have earned at least 60 credit hours in residency in course work which assign letter grades that affect the student's cumulative GPA must meet the following criteria:
- Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors): cumulative grade point average of 3.90 or above.
- Magna Cum Laude (with high honors): cumulative grade point average of 3.75-3.89.
- Cum Laude (with honors): cumulative grade point average of 3.50-3.74.
Students who have earned between 40 and 59.9 credit hours in residency in course work which assign letter grades that affect the student's cumulative GPA must meet the following criteria:
- Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors): cumulative grade point average of 3.95 or above.
- Magna Cum Laude (with high honors): cumulative grade point average of 3.80-3.94.
- Cum Laude (with honors): cumulative grade point average of 3.55-3.79.
Because of pending program requirements, summer graduates will not be recognized for these honors during the spring commencement. Summer graduates are eligible for these honors when graduation requirements are met.